Greetings from Calgary! This weekend marks my four week anniversary of living here and I like the city more and more each day. I graduated in April, and after nine years in Edmonton I knew it was time for a big change of scene. There was only one tiny thing holding me back; I didn't have a job in Calgary. However, I was offered a part-time research contract for the government of Alberta, which could be done anywhere, so I decided that it was enough to make the move, and it would be easier to find work in Calgary once I lived here. So move I did, and sure enough, I was hired part time by Bow Valley College. I currently teach an evening speaking and listening class to newcomers, and I also substitute teach which is proving to be quite lucrative. In mid-October, I will take on another part-time 10-week contract with BVC teaching an evening course via teleconference. Half of my class will be here, and the other half will be tuning in from Red Deer College. It's going to be interesting and challenging, I'm sure.
I'm living the dream in a sweet apartment close to downtown. The central location is amazing, I feel like I have easy access to the best parts of Calgary. It takes me...
15-minute bike to get to work downtown
3-minute bike to get to the bank
7-minute bike to MEC
7-minute walk to church
5-minute walk to new favorite kabob place, Ali Baba's
3-minute walk to The Chocolate Bar, a new dessert joint I still need to go to
15-minute drive to Grandma's
15-minute drive to Dan's
50-minute drive to Kananaskis
Here are some photos of my new pad... the world's smallest one bedroom apartment at 450 sq feet, but it totally works. I even have laundry!




Other activities I've been enjoying include checking out parks in my area, enjoying a fall bike ride around the Glenmore Resevoir, shopping at Chinook Centre, and hiking in Kananaskis. Yesterday Dan and I took advantage of the weather and went to the zoo. Check out this tiger!

Come visit soon!
5 comments:
Looks and sounds marvelous! Can't wait to visit!
Your place looks amazing, I love it!
Way to go, Gorgeous!! Thanks for the update on the move. Lovely apartment; it looks so modern! I'm thinking a road trip to Calgary is in order pretty soon! Lots of love, Kathy
Sweet tiger.
And apartment.
I miss you.
I am so glad that everything is working out so well.
Post a Comment