It's so great to not be working nights. I feel like a normal human being again. I go to work, get the job done. Come home, go to the gym, spend time with friends. Starting up a new class last week was stressful, as it always is, but by the end of the week I felt like I had a handle on where the students are at and how we will progress through the term. I love my new little class. I have eight students who come from Nicaragua, DRC (Congo), Albania, Vietnam, Philippines, Nepal, China, and Ethiopia. Yep - 8 learners, 8 countries. They're hard little workers and we've had some fun. Most of the students are returning and are already friends. One of the students from Nicaragua is new and quite shy. The first three days he said almost nothing. On Wednesday, we were having a discussion about our favourite actors. When I got to him, he said "Arnold Schwarzenegger." So then I said, "Oh yeah...like I'll be back..." and some of the students gave me a weak pity laugh. Then he was like, "Hasta la vista, baby." Everyone was so surprised to hear him talk that they started laughing and clapping, it was awesome. Since then he's been opening up more. It's only been one week but I'm already in love with my students.
Dan's been out of town for work this week, so I've been getting some stuff done and getting together with other friends. On Wednesday I went to this pub with Sarah Baugh and friends for 1 cent ribs. I didn't believe it at first, but it's true - we ordered 100 riblets, and the bill came to $1.00. I can promise you I'll be going again.
Back track to New Year's - I was going to add photos here BUT I can't seem to download them from Dan's google plus so you'll have to wait until I do. Dan and I went to Lake Louise on Dec 31 for some snowshoeing and skating. Then on January 2 we went back to Banff for skiing at Sunshine. We were really lucky to have beautiful weather!
No comments:
Post a Comment